Lambing Assistant (x 4)
Role starting 7 Jul 2023, Accommodation available.
Cloven Hills is a dynamic and growing genetics and commercial prime lamb family business that takes pride in delivering quality genetics to our clients. Critical to this is providing clients with key information that assists them to select animals that meet their objectives.
Cloven Hills leads the Australian maternal sires in the Sheep Genetics database, consistently holding around 20 per cent of the top 150 rams, including at least five out of the top 10.
Cloven Hills is situated at the start of the Great Dividing Range in Western Victoria on rolling hills. We run 2266 Ha including our farm Rangeview which is in the final stages of being reverted from blue gums. Both farms are well laned, tracked and subdivided for ease of stock movements.
We sell 800+ rams per annum largely across 2 on-farm sales and a live sale in Tasmania (all interfaced online). We have an online ewe production sale for our clients’ excess ewes in December each year. Cloven Hills sells all its commercially bred ewe lambs in this sale and produces whether lambs for the domestic and export market. In 2023, we have joined about 9000 ewes. This will increase by about 15% p.a. for the next few years.
We are looking for 4 highly motived people who are keen to learn and join our sheep farming team for lambing. We run both a commercial and a stud/genetics business, selling breeding stock for prime lamb production, as well as lambs for the domestic and export market. We run approximately 5600 acres and 10,000 sheep.
To meet our seasonal demand for recording data on stud animals we employ casual lambing assistants (usually backpackers) to assist with this. Sheep farming experience is not necessarily essential, but we require candidates to demonstrate key attributes.
We are looking for the right people and offer above the award.
Role starts 7th July 2023 and there is accommodation available nearby. Lambing finishes approx. 6th October 2023, but there is opportunity for more work into the Summer.
Key attributes for the position
- Self-motivated with a good sense of initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve.
- Excellent observational skills & attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Practical with an ability to maintain plant and equipment.
- Good communication & organisational skills.
- Ability and disposition to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Ability and disposition to perform physical, repetitive tasks e.g., handling sheep (draft, move, hold them, etc.), jumping in and out of tall vehicles, hopping on and off 2-wheeler motorbikes, moving quickly across different terrains, amongst other farm-related activities as needed.
- Be prepared to work on a roster during busy times that will include weekends & extended hours.
- Demonstrate risk awareness & safety in the workplace.
- Must have drivers’ licence and own vehicle (drive to/from accommodation & getting groceries).
- Experience driving manual vehicles is highly desirable.
- Experience riding 2-wheeler motorbikes is highly desirable.
Tasks & Responsibilities
There will be training for all activities listed below. The length of training will depend on the successful candidates’ experience.
Your main duties will be as follows:
- Catch and tag progeny of stud ewes at or soon after birth and record data on lambs and dams in farm computer XR5000 in the paddock.
- Problem solve tag and dam issues.
- Check and treat commercial and stud ewes.
- Assist with lambing difficulties as required.
- Assist with other farm duties such as lamb marking, mustering, drafting, drenching, vaccinating & fencing.
- Prepare for ram sale including taking videos & uploading to web.
This position offers a positive learning environment and actively encourage and support professional development. We have regular onsite staff training and actively help with knowledge gaps.
We have comfortable modern accommodation available for this position.
Located 20km from Casterton and 66km from Hamilton there are schooling options for all ages and a variety of recreational activities available including sports clubs, community groups.
We are also located 1-2 hours from the Grampians, Great Ocean Road, Coonawarra and South Australia’s Limestone Coast.
Want Cloven Hills news delivered straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our newsletter and sale updates!