Livestock Overseer / Livestock Manager
$70 – 120K per year + performance bonus
Role starting ASAP, Accommodation available.
Cloven Hills is a dynamic and growing genetics and commercial prime lamb family business that takes pride in delivering quality genetics to our clients. Critical to this is providing clients with key information that assists them to select animals that meet their objectives.
Cloven Hills leads the Australian maternal sires in the Sheep Genetics database, consistently holding around 20 per cent of the top 150 rams, including at least five out of the top 10.
Cloven Hills is situated at the start of the Great Dividing Range in Western Victoria on rolling hills. We run 2266 Ha including our farm Rangeview which is in the final stages of being reverted from blue gums. Both farms are well laned, tracked and subdivided for ease of stock movements.
We sell 800+ rams per annum largely across 2 on-farm sales and a live sale in Tasmania (all interfaced online). We have an online ewe production sale for our clients’ excess ewes in December each year. Cloven Hills sells all its commercially bred ewe lambs in this sale and produces whether lambs for the domestic and export market. In 2023 we have joined about 9000 ewes. This will increase by about 15% p.a. for the next few years.
We are looking for a highly motivated person that is keen to learn and join our sheep farming team. Reporting directly to the owner, you will be included in all aspects of the farming operation. We are happy to employ a manager that has experience and a passion for a modern sheep business or an individual that is developing into this role as an overseer.
This intensive farming operation will give you the opportunity to have variety in your working day. As you gain further understanding of the farming operation, you will be given additional responsibility and autonomy.
A bit about YOU…
We are looking for someone that would take a leadership role in helping manage the day-to-day operational tasks. Ideally, we are looking for a self-starter that has a background in livestock or a trade or a degree that already is or has the potential to become a manager of the livestock. Hands on experience in the workplace is imperative.
The successful applicant will have:
- Good stockmanship – Experience in routine livestock operations e.g., mustering, drafting, drenching, vaccinating, lamb marking, etc.
- Well-developed communication and organizational capability – the ability to:
- plan and prioritize daily, weekly, monthly and annual jobs on the calendar of management.
- delegate and organising staff to enable them to do their jobs in a timely manner to meet stud and production timelines.
- demonstrate leadership, problem solve and importantly communicate issues and changes as they arise.
- Understanding and desire to work with modern technologies, accurate recording/numeracy and attention to detail is imperative.
- Pasture management and feed budgeting experience- Driving tractors and feeding implements.
- Animal Health knowledge & experience.
- General skills – R&M vehicles, machinery, fence, water reticulation.
- A respectful attitude and sense of humour.
We are looking for looking for the right people and offer competitive remuneration based on experience and skills, alongside an opportunity to progress within our business and the agricultural industry.
This position offers a positive learning environment and actively encourage and support professional development. We have regular staff training and actively encourage and assist with courses to help with developing and knowledge gaps.
We have comfortable modern accommodation available for this position.
Located 20km from Casterton and 66km from Hamilton there are schooling options for all ages and a variety of recreational activities available including sports clubs, community groups.
We are also located 1-2 hours from the Grampians, Great Ocean Road, Coonawarra and South Australia’s Limestone Coast.
Want Cloven Hills news delivered straight to your inbox?
Subscribe to our newsletter and sale updates!